The Democratic Association of Secretaries of State is the only organization dedicated to electing and protecting Democratic Secretaries of States. Secretaries of State were center stage during the 2020 election, from ensuring that all votes were counted properly to providing administrative support for fair and accessible voting. Since then, extremists have spread lies about the results in an attempt to undermine our election system and change the rules to their advantage. Over 500 bills have been introduced in state legislatures that restrict the right to vote; and now, these Big Lie advocates are running to oversee elections themselves. By changing the rules and changing the players, they hope to change the outcomes of future elections. Democratic Secretaries of State are pushing back, serving as the last line of defense to protect our democracy and preserve the will of the voters.
We are working to send voter education postcards to eligible Democratic voters in the state of Michigan ahead of the general election. Our goal is to educate them on the importance of downballot races, especially the race for Secretary of State.
PACKET & SUPPLIES
Here’s what you’ll need
1. 30 postcards per packet
2. 30 names and addresses of voters per packet
4. Pens; blue, black, or red ink is acceptable. Staedtler Triplus Fineliners, PaperMate InkJoy ballpoints, Stabilio Fineliners, and Sharpie Fine Point pens work well.
5. White-Out (optional if you think you might need that!)
INSTRUCTIONS: PART ONE — GET BACKGROUND INFO!
2. You can also read through some recent articles that provide additional context on the national landscape of Secretary of State races:
- In Races to Run Elections, Candidates Are Backed by Key 2020 Deniers (NYT): “The origin story behind a slate of Republican candidates for secretary of state features a QAnon figure and several promoters of 2020 conspiracies.”
- Pro-Trump death threats prompt bills in 3 states to protect election workers (Reuters): includes our very own Secretary Jim Condos and the disturbing threats his office received during the 2020 election
- GOP Election Deniers are running to oversee elections (MSNBC): “Michigan Secretary Jocelyn Benson joins Lawrence O’Donnell to discuss Trump-backed election deniers running for secretary of state in 17 different states.”
- Financing of Races for Offices that Oversee Elections (Brennan Center)
INSTRUCTIONS: PART TWO — POSTCARDING STEP BY STEP
1. Hand write the voter’s name and address on the front of the card, leaving 1/2 inch under voter’s address for the Post Office barcode. Cross out names as you go. Do not include a return address.
2. On the blank side of the postcard, hand write this message:
|Hi [voter’s first name],|
YOU deserve to have your voice heard in every election. Michigan’s Secretaryof State is responsible for ensuring that every vote is counted — safely and accurately. Make sure you vote down-ballot for Secretary of State to ensure that all eligible Michiganders continue to have free and fair elections.
Nov. 8: Vote in Michigan’s Secretary of State race!
—[postcard writer’s first name], a fellow pro-democracy voter
3. PLEASE REMEMBER THESE IMPORTANT DETAILS:
– Stick to the script; the above wording has been approved by DASS!
– No mention of any candidate’s name, that is a violation of campaign finance laws!
- Affix your stamp.
- Shred/destroy your list of names after you are done with them.
- Mail your postcards on September 12. (We’ll send you a reminder as the date nears).
- Let us know that you mailed them by filling out this form .
THANKS FOR TAKING ACTION WITH 3 FLIPPING THINGS AND DASS TO RESTORE DEMOCRACY!
Need additional help with these instructions? Email Gaen at firstname.lastname@example.org