Mad about the possibility that the Supreme Court might overturn Roe v. Wade and jeopardize a host of similar Supreme Court decisions about marriage and people’s private lives? Turn that outrage into action. This month we’re reaching out to women in Texas by postcarding with Field Team 6. This campaign reaches out to likely Democratic voters, with a script that advocates for long-held rights and urges women to register to vote.
The Field Team 6 motto: “Register Democrats. Save the World!”
* Experts say demographic, generational and other changes mean that Texas is ready to go purple. And it’s a biiiig state (as all Texans will tell you).
* Beto O’Rourke is running for governor and his grassroots campaign to challenge Ted Cruz in 2018 set a record for most votes ever cast for a Democrat in a midterm election in Texas.
* Among many exciting candidates in Texas, progressives Greg Casar, Jessica Cisneros, and Jasmine Crockett are running for the US. House; Cisneros and Crockett each face a runoff on May 24. We are postcarding women in Cisneros’s district, TX-28.
* Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas Republicans just have us hopping mad: from their unconstitutional anti-abortion law, to Abbot’s mishandling of the power grid that caused hundreds of deaths during a winter power outage, to Abbott’s most recent grandstanding at the border, to signature legislative moves like anti-voting legislation & attacks on schools and families. Grrrr.
SIGN UP TO WRITE TO TEXAS VOTERS
That’s our DO action. To round it up to 3 Flipping Things, we also encourage you to:
LEARN about the leaked Supreme Court opinion that would overturn Roe v. Wade and that threatens similarly argued rights to marry the person you love and have legal access to contraception, as first reported on Politico. Or just google it! There’s a mountain of information out there! Or learn about Cisneros, Crockett, or Casar.
– DONATE between now and runoff date May 24 to Jessica Cisneros, the inspiring, progressive, pro-choice Bernie-endorsed candidate for the US House, who’s in a close primary runoff against anti-choice Dem incumbent Henry Cuellar.
We have committed to send 3,000 postcards to Texas. Packets should be sent by May 30.
ALL OF MAY’S POSTCARDING WILL BE DONE FROM HOME. You can order your postcarding packet online .
We are looking for a new place for our monthly meetings. If you know of a good place to gather, email Mike at email@example.com. But in the meantime, sign up for your packet and assume May is an at-home month for us all.
Thank you AGAIN for getting involved and our community, here at home and nationwide!
— Mike, Lorraine, Gaen, Gregor, Erik, and Jen